June 20, 2017 3:33 pm
On the look-out for 2017’s most exciting U.K. hospitality openings? Look no further – these are the openings that we’re getting super excited about here at GAB HQ.
- RICK STEIN, BARNES:
- This recently opened brasserie in outer South West London has already become a firm favourite with locals. For his first restaurant within easy reach of the capital, Stein has chosen a venue overlooking the Thames. There’s a sense of occasion here, yet it still feels relaxed. (The perfect spot to pop the question, hint hint). With a seafood bar, a vegetarian menu and signature classics including Singapore chilli crab, this is the perfect spot for a celebration dinner.
- After recently opening in May, this is the the second London outpost for the glamorous Peruvian restaurant. Located in the City of London, this upmarket hub has a large selection of light and healthy South American food, with fabulous sharing plates. There’s also a large choice of drinks, with the Rum Round Table expected to be a focal point! (We might book a half day off the next day). Coya, which also has restaurants in Miami and Dubai, looks set to be one of the hot City openings in 2017.
- DUCK AND WAFFLE LOCAL:
- The original is one of London’s most fun restaurants, thanks to its 24-hour opening times and its location on the 40th floor of Heron Tower near Liverpool Street Station. It’s also a great place to take visiting friends and family from out-of-town for that London ‘wow’ May 2017 will see the hatching of Duck and Waffle’s smaller sibling, on street level and at Piccadilly. There’ll be speedy counter service, on-tap cocktails, duck jam doughnuts and the legendary duck and waffle, of course. You’d be quackers not to check it out.
- NOBU HOTEL SHOREDITCH:
- They’ve conquered Vegas, Miami, Manila and now Shoreditch. Nobu’s first European hotel is due to open in June – and it will have a 240 seater restaurant attached. It will be the third Nobu in London and you’ll also be able to order the food in the lobby bar while pouting away in your black shades. Nobu classics which already entice its celebrity clientele – think Black Cod Miso and Yellowtail Sashimi with Jalapeño – will be on the menu along with some Nobu Shoreditch exclusives. Glamour!
- MAHIKI – MANCHESTER:
- The London outpost has famously been a favourite haunt of Prince Harry – GAB’s favourite royal – over the years. Along with its Dubai branch, the fun-loving tiki bar has become an award-winning nightspot, attracting celebs including Little Mix, One Direction and Drake. 2017 sees Manchester get a slice of the action, thanks to owners and ex-Manchester United players Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs. Mahiki’s blend of tropical cocktails and dressed-up, unpretentious good times will suit Manchester to a tee.
- THE IVY – MANCHESTER:
- Branching out from London’s West End, The Ivy is headed to Spinningfields this winter. The celeb haunt (fans include Tom Cruise, Madonna and the Beckhams) teased the news on Facebook a few months ago with a cryptic video message from pop princess Kylie Minogue. (GAB fact: it’s the law that pop princess Kylie Minogue always must be described as ‘pop princess Kylie Minogue’). The new venue will be a cafe-style brasserie serving up the original’s popular brand of classy comfort food. Recruitment has already begun, so watch this space…